POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need two things.. : Re: Need two things.. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need two things..
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Feb 2008 18:12:54
Message: <MPG.2229049a9aceccf798a105@news.povray.org>
In article <web.47be68d3ef771f4c5116a38d0@news.povray.org>,
peter@**nospam**hertel.no says...
> Try out Jpatch - http://www.jpatch.com/ - It has a very nice material edi
tor
> with a lot of sliders for pigment and finish which puts out pure, clean P
OV-Ray
> code.

Thanks, will take a look. That may have even been what I was thinking
of, though it might have been the **much** earlier cmapper and crender,
which I 'thought' had at one point been combined into something more
useful. By themselves, they are not too useful, since you can preview
modifiers in one of them, but not what it does to complex textures,
while the other lets you create the banding for one, but not *see* what
the actual result will be. Not too helpful. lol

> Or you could use the provided code to do a real time preview in POV-Ray.
Sorry,
> I couldn't resist. :P

> Jokes aside, I trie to quickly put togehter that dice you wanted, but it
turned
> out to be a bit harder to make it with rounded corners than I thought. It
 was
> easy making it in Wings 3D and uv mapping it though ;)
>
> -Peter
Yeah, figured it would be complicated. Nearest idea I could come up with
was using cylinders and the blob primitive, but I am not even sure how
well that would work. It would allow adding minor components in, to make
the surface less perfect, but it might just be easier to build a
cylinder+sphere cage, then glue stuff in between the fill in. :p Or, I
could just place metal plates along the edges, instead of only having
caps on the top and bottom. Not sure yet. The one has the advantage of
looking more like its carved from "real" polished ore, while the other
would be more manufactured looking. Its a hard call.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();